Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Old School Training - a.k.a. Karate

I hear many "new" MMA gyms talk about all they know all they have done etc...they make fun on other ways people and styles do things. When many of them fail to realize that it's all good and all has a purpose. I read where someone was saying karate people just kicking and punching the air won't teach you how to fight. I knew then this person has never taken a karate lesson in his life or he sucked at it, because he didn't learn a thing. Let me ask you this, How many boxers "Shadow Box" for several rounds. it teaches technique, foot work, balance etc...Old school karate is done the same way. They learn the technique kicking and punching the air. It's also done for safety. Then like any other pugilistic sort/art, they will hit bags, pads shields, even spar. There are many great benefits to Old School karate, it gives you a foundation to start with and you build  you arsenal from there. I started in Karate and went on to do many other things. I was successful in what ever i decided to try because of the foundation that was layed before me. I still to this day approach my training to whatever sport I am training in at the time the way it was put before me. you can't go straight to the fancy/ flashy stuff without knowing the basics and being very good at them. When it comes down to it, the basics are what you will always fall back on. In BJJ, boxing, kick boxing, karate etc... It is all good.
Osu!

- Kelly Leo, Head Trainer and MMA coach at Full Throttle Fitness, North Georgia's Premier Combat Sports/ Fitness Gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment