Monday, June 6, 2011

Experience teachers, trainers etc...

All to often today there are many people who start a fight team, gym etc...with little to NO experience. They have been in a couple of bars brawls, may have had 1-2 years wrestling in middle school had about 3-4 mma bouts ( lost most of them) then decide to open a gym, start a fight team and really have no clue what the heck is going on. Yes there is always room to improve and get better, that's the magic behind Martial Arts.
 I had been training in sports combat for most of my life and thought I had about everything i needed, then one day I was introduced to a 5'8" Korean who said do anything you want to try and take me down. He was friendly and knew I needed to be humbled a bit ;-)
So the bell rang and I tried everything I could think of, I failed miserably and all he did was laugh and throw me all over the mat, lol. His name is Master Kim ( MORE ON HIM LATER). He had a small but nice dojo and he taught Judo and Kendo and knew Tae Know Do and boxing. Well, I was hooked, I didn't get to go as much as I would have liked to, but every chance I got I met with him and learned all I could from him. He had answers to about any question. He told me that to be a great teacher you have to learn, train and compete for many years in order to understand how to teach someone else and have answers to help them become better. In Korea you did not teach until you turned 40 years old. I know in the USA it is not that way, but from what I see in today's, everyone wants things like a fast food restaurant. They go and get a little bit of experience, come back and beat up all their buddies and they are considered a GURU. There is not much we can do about these posers and wanna bees but just hope and pray they don't get someone seriously hurt or killed. Saw some junk on a site today and it just made me think about how I am glad to have had all the great teachers, trainers, training partners I had to tell me the truth and lead me in the right direction. Just do your research and take your time in the art of sports combat, not someone who is just trying to cash in and get a quick buck at your expense.
Osu

- Kelly Leo, Head Trainer and MMA coach at Full Throttle Fitness, North Georgia's Premier Combat Sports/ Fitness Gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment